Here are 5 car care tips to keep your car running like it’s new. This is a preventive list to ensure proper maintenance.
1. Change your oil regularly
It is very important to change your engine oil at the intervals recommended in the owner’s manual. For most cars, it is every 5,000, 7,500 or 10,000 miles. If you don’t drive that frequently, you can go a bit longer.
2. Check your fluids
When you take your car for an oil change, get it checked for other fluids. Power-steering, automatic transmission, wiper, and brake fluids should also be maintained and replaced as necessary. At Aliana Auto Care and other good auto centers, the mechanic should check these for you out of courtesy.
3. Keep your tires in shape
- Check air pressure: Tires without proper air pressure more likely to cause a serious accident.
- Rotate your tires: Rotate every 6,000 to 8,000 miles for a longer tire life.
- Check the alignment: Poor alignment can lead to uneven tread wear.
4. Test the lights, wipers and air filter
- Lights: Aside from being a safety hazard, a broken bulb is a traffic violation. Flip on your headlights, tail lights, brake lights, and turn signals while your car is parked to ensure they all are working.
- Wipers: Turn your wipers on to see if they work well without leaving streaks. Changing wiper blades is a quick and affordable job at most auto centers including Aliana Auto Care.
- Air filter: You may need a mechanic to do this, but if you are comfortable, then feel free to perform this test on your own. Pull out the filter and hold it up to a bright light. If you can’t see light through it, it’s time to replace it. A clean air filter can improve your car’s performance.
5. Perform preventive checkups
It’s not too difficult to check for yourself and preventive checkups can be performed at home. You can help prevent overheating or electrical failure in your car by simply cleaning debris from the radiator and making sure the battery cables are securely connected and free of corrosion.
If you are not comfortable performing a checkup yourself, bring it to Aliana Auto Care. We will be happy to perform a checkup for you!